Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Embrace In Dependence



I'm so much more independent now!

I gush to my friends from home.

Independent.

You see society's always telling me
girls are more dependent
pointing to T. Swift songs:
phallocentric

Gaga's too outrageous because she worked alone
Making ones own choice
the outrage of control, your body's not your own
redefining your voice

Society claims
we can't fulfill our aims
can't create
without male participation.

And now that I'm starting anew I'm ready to embrace my
independence.
but I also rejoice in being
dependent.

All of us humans are dependent
on earth, on resources
on people.

To claim otherwise is denying our basic need.

I need others.
Friends
Family
People.

And that's not an emptiness or greed.

Needing others is not a "female weakness"
it's not a weakness at all.
Needing others is a strength.
A chance to escape the bleakness
and 
I'm just woman enough to embrace it.

-Rachel SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment